A fundraising page has been set up to raise money for a Sunderland care home after a fire left six people injured- and it has raised over £2,000 within hours.
Fire crews were called to Croft Residential Care Home on Ettrick Grove, at around 10.30am this morning (June 26), to reports that its first floor was alight.
The major incident saw 43 firefighters attend the scene and the road was cordoned off while nearby residents were told to keep their windows closed.
A spokesperson for the North East Ambulance Service confirmed that six people were taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Following the devastating fire, local resident Jolene Casey has set up a Go Fund Me page for the elderly residents who have “nothing left”.
She said: “I was out at the time and I could see the clouds and I just thought: ‘What was going on?’
“I found out what happened and I was absolutely heartbroken. As if we haven’t had to deal with enough at the moment.
“These elderly people haven’t been able to see family and friends and the staff are working round the clock with masks and protective equipment.
“They are already feeling scared and uneasy and now this has happened. I just know I had to get involved and help somehow.”
Jolene said she received a message from a worker at the care home who told her the “building was nearly down to the ground.”
She continued: “I received a message from a worker at the home just asking if there was anything I could do.
“They said the residents had lost everything and the building was nearly down to the ground.
“These residents have got nothing left so we’re looking at getting clothing, pyjamas and slippers.
“People were wanting to help but they didn’t have spare pyjamas or slippers but wanted to donate money so I set up a fundraising page pretty much straight away.
“They’ve lost everything, they could have been pictures in there and sentimental belongings, it’s just awful.”
People are being encouraged to donate anything they can and Jolene, along with a team of volunteers, is also collecting clothing items from local residents.
At the time of publishing, in just a couple of hours over £2,000 was raised.
Jolene added: “When there’s a crisis people do really come together and want to help. It’s incredible how many people have donated.”
Local businesses are also donating food to emergency workers at the scene.
A spokesperson for North East Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 10.41am to a fire at a residential home on Ettrick Grove in Sunderland.
“We dispatched a number of resources to the scene including two officers, one clinical care manager, four of our hazardous area response teams, three double-crewed ambulances and three patient transport service vehicles.
“We transported six people to hospital, including three patients to Sunderland Royal Hospital and three patients to South Tyneside District Hospital, with non-life-threatening injuries.
“We also treated some patients who were discharged at the scene.”
A statement from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said: “We currently have 43 firefighters tackling a blaze in the Ettrick Grove area of Sunderland. We have a number of appliances, an aerial ladder platform, 4 officers and our Command Support Unit in attendance.
“We would ask that local residents please close all windows and doors and please avoid the area.”
If you would like to donate you can do so here.