The grieving parents of a beloved son killed in a motorbike crash are “hoping for answers” as an inquest into his death is held more than three years on.
The 30-year-old rider was fatally injured in the collision with a Yamaha bike, and following the family’s appeal under the Crown Prosecution Service’s Victim Right to Review Scheme (VRR) charges were brought.
But although the CPS’ Appeal Review Unit in London deemed there was a realistic prospect of conviction, the North East office of the prosecution service disagreed.
The Yamaha rider was formally acquitted of causing death by careless driving, and the acquittal means they can not be charged again in connection with the collision.
Now, his parents Dan and Linda are hoping they will finally get some answers during a three-day inquest, beginning on September 30, which will look at the circumstances of Frazer’s death.
Linda, 65, said: “There are so many questions that need to be answered and we have a barrister to go through them.
“We want to know why the charges were dropped.
“We’re hoping we may be able to get it back to court if anything said brings things to light. We need this, we just want the truth.”
Whenever inquests are held, the coroner must look at the circumstances around someone’s death and then provide a conclusion.
Inquests, unlike courts, are not criminal proceedings and therefore cannot determine if anyone is criminally liable.
However, Frazer’s family are hoping the coroner will deliver a conclusion of ‘unlawful killing’ which they hope may cause the Crown Prosecution Service to reconsider whether to bring criminal charges.
Dan, 69, said: “We were promised by a coroner that if we feel we didn’t get any justice, we can get somebody to ask some questions in the coroner’s court.
“We’ve been fighting this for years so hopefully we will get some answers.
“It doesn’t get any easier. Frazer is massively missed by us all. He and his younger sister were mistaken for twins they were very close.
“We were a very close family.”
Nissan worker Frazer also left behind sisters Louise and Faye.
Regional prosecutors offered no evidence when the case reached Durham Crown Court in March 2019.
Dan and Linda were informed just days before the court appearance the charges were going to be dropped.
The CPS previously apologised to Mr Frazer’s family and said it was reviewing its procedures.
It has been approached for comment.