A number of students at a Sunderland school have been told not return to the classroom until after the summer break following a rise in Covid-19 cases.
Hetton School on North Road, in Hetton-le-Hole, sent a letter to parents telling them pupils should work from home for the remainder of the term and not return until September.
Letters were sent home to parents of students affected after further cases were identified in school.
School bosses informed parents in the letter that although some students were not being identified as a direct contact, they had been in a number of classrooms with affected cases.
Affected students may not need to self-isolate if they have not been identified as a direct close contact.
The school has not confirmed how many pupils or which student groups have been asked not to return to school.
Craig Knowles, headteacher at the school said: “Hetton School is following current Public Health and Department for Education guidelines on dealing with confirmed cases of Covid-19.
“As a result some students have been sent home to self-isolate for 10 days. The length of this isolation period means that by the time they are allowed out of their homes, the academic year will have finished on Friday, July 16.
“Therefore, many of these students will not return to school until September.
“High quality remote learning work has been provided and students have access to live lessons from their teachers in every lesson during their isolation.
“We realise that this can be very inconvenient for students and parents, but our decisions have been made in conjunction with Public Health and are taken with the very best of intentions in a difficult situation.
“We thank everyone for their understanding in these tough times.
“We are planning for a more normal and successful year for our students from September, as we continue to grow and progress as a school, serving our amazing and resilient community.