Thugs in the dock for bar brawls and pub fights ahead of Black Eye Friday

Scores of people will be out celebrating Christmas with their friends and family this month – but there may be a few who take things too far.

With Black Eye Friday coming up on December 17, revellers are being reminded not to get into trouble.

Those who do break the law could find themselves before a judge.

Go here for the latest reports and live updates from North East courts

Here, we take a look at some offenders who appeared in court this year after fights in pubs or bars.

One case involved a mother who knocked a woman off her seat by throwing a pool ball at her head.

Another involved a man who threatened to kill a 62-year-old in an unprovoked pub attack.

Pub peacemaker stabbed by thug

Daniel Barnes, who admitted wounding with intent
Daniel Barnes, who admitted wounding with intent
(Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

A pub peacemaker was stabbed by a cowardly thug as he tried to prevent trouble when banter turned nasty.

There was a good-natured exchange between a group of men and an older man, who said one of them had an effeminate voice and questioned his gender.

While most of the group took it in good humour, Daniel Barnes took exception and began shouting aggressively and threatening violence and was joined by a pal.

Paul Mutch, who was in the Sunderland pub, was concerned and asked them to stop threatening the much older man.

Newcastle Crown Court heard he stood between the men and the older man and his daughter to act as a peacemaker and protect them.

CCTV shows a man in an orange jacket, who was in Barnes’ group, punch Mr Mutch hard in the face and others then join in the violence on him, although not Barnes at that stage.

The prosecutor said the initial attack came to an end but then Barnes approached Mr Mutch and said either “you are going to get cut up” or “put up”.

The footage shows him pull a long knife out of his pocket and Mr Mutch punches him in self-defence and appears to get the better of him.

But witnesses saw Barnes raise the knife into the air and bring it down quickly in a slicing motion, connecting with his face, then stab him in the side.

Mr Mutch was left with stab wounds to his chest, shoulder, forearm and hand.

Barnes, 34, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent and possessing a bladed article and was jailed for five years. Here’s the full story.

Thug stamped on unconscious man’s head then boasted while reenacting it

Gregg Dodds
Gregg Dodds
(Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

A violent thug stamped on an unconscious man’s head then bragged about what he had done as he reenacted it.

David Morrison was drinking in a pub in Northumberland when he was approached by drunken Gregg Dodds and ordered to go outside.

As he walked down some stairs, he was struck forcefully to the head, causing him to fall a considerable distance.

As he lay “out for the count”, he was then stamped on with two feet by Dodds, who used the banister to launch himself into the air and gain leverage. The brute then punched him until his son dragged him away.

HGV driver Dodds then went to another pub and reenacted what he had done and boasted about how he had knocked him out with one punch.

Dodds, 43, of Whitsun Grove, Bedlington, pleaded guilty to inflicting GBH with intent and was jailed for five-and-a-half years. Read the full court report here.

Mum throws pool ball at woman’s head in shocking bar attack

Louise Cooke
Louise Cooke
(Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

A mother knocked a woman off her seat by throwing a pool ball at her head in a Tyneside bar.

Louise Cooke was trying to hit the bar manager but instead struck her intended target’s friend in the head “with some force” as she sat at the bar.

Cooke, who had been behaving boisterously with two men before the attack, fled as the victim lay injured but was easily found as she had left her details as part of the track and trace scheme.

Newcastle Crown Court heard it happened at The Royal Arms pub, in North Shields.

The victim suffered a cut to her head and was taken by ambulance to hospital, where the wound was glued.

Cooke, 29, of Balkwell Green, North Shields, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

She was sentenced to nine months suspended for two years with rehabilitation and ordered to carry out a thinking skills programme. Here’s the full story.

Video Loading

Lout threatened to kill 62-year-old man in unprovoked pub attack

Ellis David Moore
Ellis David Moore
(Image: Northumbria Police)

A drunken lout narrowly avoided prison after he launched an “unprovoked attack” on a 62-year-old outside a pub.

Ellis David Moore entered The Scotia, in South Shields, and began threatening the victim, calling him “a rat”.

He then hurled a bottle in the direction of the 62-year-old, but failed to hit him.

Moore, now 23, was escorted out of the bar, where he banged on the windows and threatened to kill the victim.

Later that night, Moore spotted his victim again as he passed nearby bar Hogarth’s.

He then threw another bottle, and this time the shattering glass caused a “small laceration” to the victim’s neck. Moore then punched him in the face.

Moore, of Agricola Court, South Shields, was given a 16-month prison sentence, suspended for two years. Read the full report here.

Woman suffered broken jaw during mass brawl outside pub

Kieran Bunting
Kieran Bunting
(Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

A woman suffered a broken jaw after she was punched in the face during a mass brawl outside a city centre pub.

Trouble flared inside The Black Garter, on Newcastle’s Clayton Street, after a dispute and a number of people were thrown out after a fracas.

Brothers Kieran Bunting and Cameron Turnbull had been in the pub marking the seventh anniversary of their dad’s death when they got into a row over who was sitting in a seat.

The couple sat down at the men’s table in a seat Turnbull had just vacated, which he took umbrage at and a bar brawl broke out.

Newcastle Crown Court heard once they had been ejected, there was a pause before more trouble flared, with verbal aggression and then violence.

CCTV shows the woman kicking towards Bunting and he reacts by punching her with such force it knocked her to the ground.

Get free email updates straight to your inbox

Chroniclelive factbox image

Sign up to our free newsletter to receive our top stories twice a day as well as up to the minute breaking stories, information on coronavirus and the latest Newcastle United and Sunderland AFC football stories.

It takes just seconds to sign up – just click on this link, enter your email address and follow the instructions.

If you change your mind you can unsubscribe using the link at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.

Find us on the British Newspaper Archive here.

Her partner then hits Turnbull and Bunting then attacks bar staff in chaotic scenes during which a member of the public with a walking stick tries to intervene.

Bunting, 24, of Beech Drive, Dunston, Gateshead, who admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray, was sentenced to two years suspended for two years.

Turnbull, 20, of John Street, Stanley, County Durham, who admitted affray, was sentenced to a two year community order. Read the full story here.

Brothers spared jail for assault on rival in pub fight

Ricky Spence
Ricky Spence
(Image: Newcastle Chronicle)

Two brothers were spared jail for an assault on a rival when trouble flared at a pub.

Jack Spence clashed with Sonny Hickson and when they were ejected outside, Ricky Spence joined in the violence, which included all three trading punches and kicks.

When staff intervened and ushered Mr Hickson back inside, Jack Spence followed and the altercation continued, with more blows traded and there was an unsuccessful attempt to bite.

Mr Hickson was left with a badly swollen right eye, bruising and swelling to his nose and a split in his left ear and Jack Spence was also injured, suffering a deep cut to the bridge of his nose.

Newcastle Crown Court heard Ricky Spence, who was already barred from The Waterloo pub, in Blyth, and had been ejected, also assaulted a police officer who was trying to tend to an injured woman who was unresponsive and covered in blood.

He was sprayed with CS gas after struggling violently with police.

The judge said both were capable of rehabilitation so it was not necessary to send them to prison.

Ricky Spence, 29, of Dalmatia Terrace, Blyth, was sentenced to 16 months suspended for 18 months, while Jack Spence 26, of Tynedale Drive, Blyth, was sentenced to 15 months suspended for 18 months. Here’s the full story.

For daily news from the North East’s courts direct to your inbox, go here to sign up to our free court newsletter

Chronicle Live – Sunderland