The weekend so far has seen a series of tragic and dramatic stories across the North East.
On Saturday morning the news broke that a man had died in Newcastle city centre, and throughout the day police were called to incidents in Sunderland and Blyth.
Here’s what we know so far about the day’s incidents.
Man dies at Monument Metro station
A man has died in Newcastle city centre after falling down stairs at Monument Metro station.
A Metro worker tried to resuscitate the man who had fallen down the stairs and had stopped breathing until ambulances were able to arrive.
Paramedics then carried out CPR on the man but despite their efforts he was pronounced dead at the scene.
A North East Ambulance Service spokesperson, said, “We were called at 12.28pm on Friday to a person not breathing, after reports of him having fallen down stairs at Monument Metro.
“Metro staff initiated CPR on scene.
We sent three resources to the scene, including a specialist paramedic.
“Unfortunately the gentleman passed away at the scene despite the best efforts of everyone involved. We send our condolences to the family and huge thanks to the Metro employee who supported the patient whilst the ambulance was travelling.”
Northumbria Police confirmed that his death was not being treated as suspicious.
Men arrested at gunpoint following West Road incident
Armed police arrested a driver and passengers at gunpoint after a disturbance at a takeaway on the West Road in Newcastle.
Passers-by were stunned to see firearms officers draw their weapons as they spoke to the suspects who had been inside a white BMW car.
Four men in total were arrested with video footage showing one man being told to lie face down on the ground before he is arrested.
Another man was seen standing against a police car while he is being handcuffed.
A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “At 7.53pm on Friday we received a report of a disturbance at Madina Grill on West Road in Newcastle.
“It was reported that a group of four men had entered the premises and a staff member was threatened verbally.
“No one was injured. The suspects then left the store to return to a white BMW parked outside.
“Officers attended the scene where four men – aged 25, 26, 27 and 27 – were arrested in connection with the investigation. They remain in police custody at this time.
“Inquiries are ongoing and anyone who saw what happened is asked to use the ‘Tell Us Something’ page of our website or call 101 quoting log 1245 260620.”
Woman found dead in Blyth home
Paramedics informed the police and a number of officers arrived in the street.
The death is not believed to be suspicious but the circumstances surrounding the death are being investigated.
The woman’s next of kin are being contacted.
A spokesperson for Northumbria Police said: “At 11.25am on Saturday police received a report from the ambulance service that a 32-year-old woman had been found deceased at an address on Twentieth Avenue in Blyth.
“Emergency services attended and confirmed that the woman was deceased. Inquiries are currently ongoing to establish the circumstances around her death.”
A police officer remains guarding the door of the home after other police cars and vans left the scene.
Bomb squad called to Sunderland street
The bomb squad were called out to a home in Sunderland after suspicious items were found during a raid.
Officers were carrying out a planned warrant at a home on Amy Street in Sunderland just before 10pm on Friday.
However, as police officers searched the home, some suspicious items were found and the bomb disposal team were called to the area.
Tests were carried out on the items, which were later found not to be explosive.
A 45-year-old man has been arrested and is currently in police custody.
Specialist search teams were still on the street on Saturday afternoon and forensic officers wearing full body suits were seen going in and out of a home.
“When searching the address, officers discovered some suspicious items. As a precaution, police contacted bomb disposal experts to assist officers who are searching the address.
“After tests were carried out on the items, officers are now satisfied the items are not of an explosive nature and there is no wider threat to the public.
“A 45-year-old man was arrested in connection with the investigation. He is assisting officers with their enquiries and remains in police custody at this time.
“Officers continue to carry out inquiries at the address and anyone with concerns is encouraged to speak to an officer or call 101.”